Monday, February 5, 2007

Pulling Apart Other Ministries...


For anyone expecting a round-up of my 21st birthday, that’s currently sitting in my drafts folder. My plans to post that puppy were put-aside by my fury after reading a post this afternoon.

In other words, time for a big old rant on this whole denominations/different communities thing that seems to be going round at the moment. As you may have seen from my earlier ‘pro-chute’ post, I’ve had a real change of heart on this whole matter of how we work with, and talk about, other ministries and ‘Christian’ organisations.

I find it hilarious when I read a post about a disagreement over the values of a Christian organisation, that then goes on to address the current buzz-topic of social justice. I sit here and wonder what God cares about more: The way Parachute conducts their worship time, or the fact that millions are working in sweat-shops in China right now. In general, I hear more complaints about our brethren than the astronomical injustices taking place around the world. Is this where God has called us to champion the cause of the poor and marginalised? In the comfort of our own church walls?!

Here’s what I’m asking myself: Does my attitude resemble a humble person desperate for God’s grace like the woman caught in adultery, or the squabbling and pointless bickering of the Pharisees in the gospels? When I look at the way Jesus reacts to these two different factions, it is easy to see what he requires of me.

In an earlier discussion on this topic, a friend reminded me that the majority of the epistles involve Paul criticising and evaluating the problems within the churches. I agree this is important, I would die without the opportunity to flesh out topics like these to others with mouths as big as my own. That being said, It pisses me off when I see influential leaders making comments on ministries behind closed-doors (maybe the internet?), when they lack the courage and integrity to take these issues to the leaders at the top of the organisation they are criticising. (I'm ashamed to admit I've been a big culprit on this one too) Remember, The Epistles were written about the churches they were sent to. I personally can’t remember an instance where Paul throws out a passing comment to the Corinthians about theological inconsistencies with the church in Phillipi.

In Matthew 18:15-22, we are instructed to take disagreements with our brethren firstly to the person who has hurt us, secondly to them and a leader, and thirdly to the church. Unfortunately most of Christian culture at the moment seems to involve taking it to the church first in order to rally a crew around us who will support our lynch mob. I know most people reading this will have seen this passage a hundred times, but perhaps a few need reminding. This is the word – no disagreement on this, it’s clear what it says, don’t try to justify gossip.

My final rant on this topic involves the danger of talking about these issues in the open where our Sinicism can rub-off on young people who go to events to genuinely find Jesus. There are few things I regret more than sharing my issues with Parachute with youth. Whether you agree with the way things are done or not, we are framing this incredible opportunity for them to meet God through a sinical and self-righteous perspective. Our attempts to right what we see wrong with other ministries often end up limiting their power for any good at all.

Rant end...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Matthew 18:15-22, This is the word – no disagreement on this, it’s clear what it says, don’t try to justify gossip."
This is awesome bro. I think we all need to be pulling each other up on stuff like this all the time. I don't know how we got to the point where we can now justify and disguise gossip. Gossip is gossip, it's ugly and hurtful and theres nothing productive about it. It sounds like 'Christianity 101' but we just need to stop. If we can't get the basics right, what kind of influence are we going to have on the youth of this nation?

Elliot said...

Good post brother. Tight. Keep them coming.

Scottie Reeve said...

Just finished an awesome evening out at Murphy's with Sam Harvey. After a few beers he brought up some very valid concerns with this post. Most I will address in my next post (after the 21st round-up), but here are a couple of important things for the moment:
i.)I am aware of the irony that my rant on proper judgment was in itself a judgment. That being said, my gripe is with the attitude and not with the individuals.
ii.) I am absolutely in support of 'the conversation', of critique, and of the freedom to discuss. My only concern is when this is done with cynical intent, and without the balls to stand behind the comments after they're made.

Hope this clears up a couple of things. Look forward to future disagreements :)

Scottie

phil_style said...

Hey Scottie,

I've put a wee post on my envi-christian blog about our conversatino last night at Murphys's. I'd appreciate your repsonse before I can continue.

it should be here:

www.enviro-christian.blogspot.com

Ciao bro,

P-style